KVFD October 3, 2011 monthly meeting minutes
Pledge of allegiance and call to order @ 19:35
- Public comments: none.
- Approval of minutes: tabled until secretary arrives.
- Member comments: Lynn W made a motion, seconded by M. Petrone, to add the election of a nominating committee to the agenda. Approved.
- Correspondence tabled until secretary arrives.
Secretary arrived to take over the minutes from Mary Cox. The minutes from September’s meeting were not distributed. The secretary apologized for this. Approval of the minutes was tabled until November’s meeting. Correspondence: two letters were read.
- Membership: the President welcomed and presented badges to Brian Hunt, Dan Kabasakalian and Cindy Barksdale. New members considered this evening:
- Bonnie Bevans: Alex L made a motion, seconded by Caralee R, to accept Bonnie as a member of the department. Approved unanimously with Tony A abstaining.
- Kelly Demers: Mike P made a motion, seconded by Leila E, to accept Kelly as a member of the department. Approved unanimously.
- Annette Pecora: Alex L made a motion, seconded by Caralee R, to accept Annette as a member of the department. Approved unanimously.
- Stan Vylet: Matt S made a motion, seconded by Mary C, to accept Stan as a member of the department. Approved unanimously.
- Elizabeth Cox: Mary C made a motion, seconded by Jean S, to accept Elizabeth as a member of the department. Approved unanimously.
- Matt S made a motion, seconded by Alex L, to have the secretary send the new members a notice of welcome and to copy the officers. Approved unanimously.
- Andrew Donzella: Mike P made a motion, seconded by Leila E, to accept Andrew as a junior member. Approved unanimously with Matt S abstaining.
- Old Business
- Propane tanks: no vendor info yet for risers. Matt S made a motion, seconded by Tony A, to allow the spending of no more than $1,000 for new risers for the firehouse propane tanks. Approved unanimously.
- Sandwich board signs: Maryann made a motion, seconded by Lynn W, to order one 2×3 sign and one 3×4 sign. Approved unanimously.
- Radio room maps: no update.
- Membership morale: there was long discussion on this topic as the President went around the room and asked each member for his/her thoughts.
- 5-0 replacement: the open bids have been done in accordance with town policy. Bids are due back on Oct. 14th. Bill Blank said he would wait on his proposal to compare truck bids.
- New Business
- Kitchen: still in progress.
- Boat: brochures were shared with the members. Budget is $13,000.
- 2012 budget workshops are being planned.
- SOPs/policies: not ready yet. Alex L made a motion, seconded by Mike P, to accept the Juniors policies as presented. Motion passed 15-3-5. (Vote tally at end of minutes).
- Nominating Committee:
i. Jean made a motion, seconded by Matt, to nominate Maryann V as chair. Approved unanimously with Lynn abstaining.
ii. Matt made a motion, seconded by Jean, to appoint Dan Kabasakalian to the committee. Approved unanimously.
iii. Jean made a motion, seconded by Matt, to appoint Heather Brand to the committee. Approved unanimously with Joe B voting against the motion.
iv. Matt made a motion, seconded by Gwen, to appoint Bill Purcell to the committee. Approved unanimously.
- Chief’s report: Eric displayed the Lest We Forget flag. He said there is a new 10,000 gallon water tank off Kenmont Road. Eric said the donated 2001 Chrysler mini van is too nice to cut up so he’s looking for other uses. Winsted is holding a pilot program of a new haz mat course.
9/1 automatic alarm 5 Old Barn Road
9/1 mva Camps Flat & Mud Pond
9/3 mutual aid Town of Cornwall
9/4 automatic alarm 88 Spooner Hill Rd.
9/5 automatic alarm 131 Carter Rd.
9/5 automatic alarm Kent School
9/6 automatic alarm 16 Long View Dr.
9/7 automatic alarm Kent School
9/9 cellar pump out 98 Kent Rd.
9/9 mva car in water Rt. 7 south
9/9 cellar pump out #2 98 Kent Rd.
9/9 cellar pump out #3 98 Kent Rd.
9/10 cellar pump out #4 98 Kent Rd.
9/19 mutual aid Wassaic, NY
9/23 automatic alarm 254 Kent-Cornwall Rd.
9/24 automatic alarm 88 Spooner Hill Rd.
9/26 automatic alarm 88 Spooner Hill Rd.
9/28 car fire Whatley Farm Rd.
9/28 automatic alarm 254 Kent – Cornwall Rd.
9/29 water in basement 90 Cobble
9/29 water leak Davis IGA
- EMS: 37 calls in September with two passed calls. EMR Refresher this month. If there’s interest, an EMT refresher will be organized. Rig was out of service for one week but back now. Oct. 29th is the date of the John Politis presentation
- Treasurer: Alex L made a motion, seconded by Mike P, to pay the bills totaling $9,488.22: approved unanimously. Gwen asked all receipts and requests for reimbursements to be fully identified.
- Training: schedule as posted.
- Engineer: new tires are on 1-0, 5-0, 6-0, and 8-0. 4-0 is next. Axel for the trailer is here. 6-0 is out for oil and water leaks. 7-0 is out because the cab is rotted above the windshield. Antique’s tires are 50 years old: we may need new wheel rims with tires next year as well as a transmission repair. Bill said that he or Eric can sign off drivers and will have a night for driving this fall.
- Records: points are ready and will be on the website this week.
- Firehouse use: service veterans (American Legion) would like to use the building on Oct. 18th. Alex L made a motion, seconded by Matt, to permit this use. Unanimously approved. Lynn made a motion, seconded by Gary, to permit the American Legion to use the building through December 2012. Unanimously approved. Alex L made a motion, seconded by Gary, to allow the Bear Scouts and Webelos to use the meeting room in the firehouse on the second Mondays of the month from 6-7 p.m. Unanimously approved. November 4th was announced as the Night of 1000 Pies and they will use our kitchen.
- Loan Officer: Mary asks for warning do that we can reduce double billing.
- Committee Reports:
- Executive: met on Sept. 19th and discussed morale, document review, 5-0 replacment, and several applications for membership.
- ID Cards: still in progress.
- Golf: thanks to Anne Bisenius for the event which raised approximately $5,000. She said the tv commercials were unbudgeted ($500) but well received.
- Ladder Truck: Matt and Jim C are looking at used Quint trucks and general discussion followed.
- Ball: needs a chair soon.
- Investment: John R gave a brief update from Alfest. More people are needed for the committee.
- Second ambulance: if you’re interested in being on the committee contact Alex Limbos.
- Outstanding EMS bills: no update.
- Bill B made a motion, seconded by Matt, to spend up to $1,500 for two trailers and equipment for the generators (tool boxes, wiring, tie downs). Unanimously approved.
- Gary made a motion, seconded by Mike, to purchase a new thermal imaging camera at a cost of $12,500 ($10,000 from insurance). Unanimously approved with MaryAnn abstaining.
- Gary made a motion, seconded by Mary C, to purchase a newspaper plaque from the Spectrum at a cost of $275. Unanimously approved with Caralee abstaining.
- Alex asked if the gas cards from the incentive program could be made into a reoccurring bill? There was discussion also about warning every quarter for the gas card.
- Matt warned for $25,000 towards the purchase of a Quint truck from fire department funds ( and $75,000 from the town).
- Joe Bisenius warned for a leaf blower: backpack style.
Adjourned at 22:00
Cathe Mazza, secretary
Voting tally on 7 d. regarding Juniors: Those in favor were: Brandt, Blank, M. Cox, L. Dingee, E. Epstein, G. Hock, B. Hunt, D. Kabasakalian, A. Limbos, M. Petrone, G. Price, J. Rundall, J. Speck, M. Vanvalkenburg, L. Worthington. Those against the motion: M. Barksdale, C. Barksdale, C. Rochovansky. Those abstaining were: J. Caroselli, A. Gawel, W. Purcell, C. Mazza, M. Starr.
REFESHMENTS for November meeting: S. Houck, S. Kabasakalian, B. Keane, R. Kennedy, C. Kinney, J. Kiney, and J. Kragh.