KVFD September 6, 2011
Call to order @ 19:36 and the pledge of allegiance was said.
- Public comment: none.
- Member comment: Will Gawel made a motion, seconded by Mike P., to change the agenda and move the Fair up to the first topic. Unanimously approved with Matt S. abstaining.
- Fair: Will said it went well. Clean up on Sunday was lightly attended. Will said he and Eric will help at the Fair next year but not be the chairs of the committee. The membership gave Will and Eric a round of applause in thanks.
- August minutes: Tony A made a motion, seconded by Ed M, to approve the minutes as published. Unanimously approved.
- Correspondence: Many donations in memory of Gene Fiengo were acknowledged and two letters from Marion Fiengo (one to the fire fighters and one to the EMS corps) were read. Four additional letters of thanks were also read.
- Dan Kabasakalian: Matt S made a motion, seconded by Ed M, to accept Dan as a member of the department. Unanimously approved.
- Cindy Barksdale: Maryann V made a motion, seconded by Tim L, to accept Cindy as a member of the department. Unanimously approved.
- Kelly Demers: met with the EC in August. Will be voted on in October.
- New applications received from: Bonnie Bevans, Elizabeth Cox, Stan Vylet, Annette Pecora, Michael Laudenslager, and Helen Conlin.
- Lynn W made a motion, seconded by Tony A, to ratify the existing three members of the juniors (J. Matson, E. Tuz and C. Worthington). Unanimously approved.
- Propane: Matt S still working on it and will have it done before winter. He also mentioned our usage has increased this year-not sure why. Matt also warned for the expenditure of risers.
- Sandwich board sign: Maryann V passed around information for feedback.
- Radio room: Gary met with the HVA people about maps-he continues to work on it. Tony A also said he could get maps from DOT and he has maps electronically which he will print out.
- EMS scheduling software: working to acquire a free trial period for next year.
- Morale: the EC met on this topic. The President tonight has arranged the tables in a U shape to facilitate conversation in the meeting. The Chief said we have a motivational speaker John Politis coming on Saturday, October 29th. Time will be announced. There were general comments regarding morale voiced by a few members.
- 2-4: Lynn W made a motion, seconded by Tim L, to approve 2-4 as revised. Unanimously approved.
- 2-6: Lynn W made a motion, seconded by Mike P, to approve 2-6 as revised. Unanimously approved.
- 2-7: Lynn W made a motion, seconded by Mike P, to approve 2-7 as revised. Motion passed 15-7-4.
- Physicals policy: Lynn made a motion, seconded by Veronica L, to approve. Unanimously approved.
- Technology policy: Lynn made a motion, seconded by Tim L, to approve. Unanimously approved.
- Email policy: Lynn made a motion, seconded by Tim L., to approve the email policy. Unanimously approved.
- Website policy: Lynn made a motion, seconded by Tim L, to approve the website policy with the friendly amendment not to include Paypal. Unanimously approved.
- 5-0 Replacement: the truck committee (chair G. Hock, A. Woodruff, M. Petrone, L. Dingee, T. Limbos, and S. Houck) made a thorough presentation on their research and long discussion followed. Bill Blank also presented his proposal for a truck. Tim L made a motion, seconded by Mike P, to empower the Truck Committee to elicit bids based on the specs presented tonight with considered changes (alternator, hose reel and outside ladder storage). Motion passed 16-6-5. Tim L said he would forward all previous committee meeting minutes to the web site. The truck committee said they would open the bids to all manufacturers. Bill Blank warned for $450,000 to purchase a stainless steel truck from Gowans and Knight (no generator and no light tower on board).
- Chief’s report of Fires and Alarms:
8/5 mva Cobble and Rt. 341
8/5 automatic alarm 6 Railroad St.
8/6 assistance: lockout 16 Swifts Lane
8/6 ems assist AT hiker
8/7 mva 59 Kent Road
8/7 automatic alarm 20 Ten Rod Road
8/7 mva 85 Segar Mt. Road
8/9 smell of smoke 46 Maple St.
8/10 automatic alarm 46 Maple St.
8/11 automatic alarm 97 Kent Cornwall Road
8/12 mva: four cars Rt. 7 south
8/12 smoke in house 3B Skiff Mt. Road
8/13 automatic alarm Henderson Road
8/14 automatic alarm 5 Old Barn Road
8/14 ems assist 10 Lane St.
8/15 automatic alarm 16 Longview Dr.
8/16 wires down
8/16 tree on road
8/17 automatic alarm 40 Bulls Bridge Road
8/18 ems assist 46 Maple St.
8/18 mva 140 Kent Cornwall Road
8/18 automatic alarm 46 Maple St.
8/18 automatic alarm 15 Kent Hollow Road
8/19 mva Kent Cornwall Road
8/21 wires down 341 and South Kent Road
8/21 water in bldg Davis IGA
8/24 automatic alarm Kent School
8/24 automatic alarm 40 Bulls Bridge Road
8/25 automatic alarm 37 Mountain Road
8/26 mva 8 Kent Cornwall Road
8/27 trash can on fire 40 Camps Flat Road
8/28 wires down 62 Carter Road
8/28 automatic alarm 88 Spooner Hill Road
8/29 water in bldg 69 Upper Kent Hollow Road
8/30 automatic alarm 16 Swifts Lane
8/30 boaters rescue Housatonic River
8/31 odor of gas 17 Meadow St.
8/31 automatic alarm 46 Maple St.
9/1 automatic alarm Old Barn Road
9/1 mva Camps Flat Road
9/3 mutual aid Town of Cornwall
9/4 automatic alarm 88 Spooner Hill Road
9/5 automatic alarm 131 Carter Road
9/5 automatic alarm Kent School
9/6 automatic alarm 16 Longview
The Chief reminded the membership of the 9-11 memorial service here on Sunday. Also, he asked and received a consensus approval to warn for a framed newspaper article from the Spectrum.
- Treasurer: reoccurring and budget approved bills were paid. The fair revenue thus far is $53,976.90 and expenses thus far are $46,838.26. Tim L made a motion, seconded by John W, to pay the monthly bills ($26,301.37). Unanimously approved. Gwen reminded everyone that she needs receipts for all purchases or charges. Will Gawel made a motion, seconded by Matt S, to pay the sale tax due to Melinda Keck for raffle prizes up to a cost of $26.00. Unanimously approved with abstentions from Caralee, Gwen and Anne B.
- EMS: 52 calls in August bringing the total to 339 for the year thus far. No calls were passed in August. EMR recert in Kent on Oct. 15th and 16th. Alex is scheduling the PHTLS course for the 4th quarter: anyone interested please contact Alex for an accurate head count. The EMT refresher will be scheduled for the 4th quarter. Alex reminded everyone that the rig must be restocked, swept and mopped after every call, and that it is the entire crew’s responsibility to get this done. Rescue Booker continues to improve: please sign up when you are able to respond. There is a new LAW effective OCT. 1 which requires photo identification for those responding to all calls. EMS will be working with Tony to update the state issued ID cards and forms are available for members to complete. There is an EMT refresher course in Warren from Sept. 30-Oct. 2 with the test on Oct. 2nd. Contact Alex or Marsha Sultz if interested.
- Technology Officer:
- John W made a motion, seconded by Lynn W, to use Charter Cable as internet provider for $87/month plus $99 install and $70 link for a total of $256. Unanimously approved with Caralee abstaining.
- John W made a motion, seconded by Gary H, to use a new firewall program at a cost of $450. Unanimously approved with Caralee abstaining.
- John W made a motion, seconded by Gary H, to purchase a second software license at a cost of $560. Unanimously approved with Caralee abstaining.
- John W made a motion, seconded by Gary H, to purchase a new desktop computer for the firehouse at a cost of $700. Unanimously approved with Caralee abstaining.
- Facebook page: John W made a motion, seconded by Tim L, to authorize Lynn to set up a facebook page on a trial basis. Unanimously approved with Caralee abstaining.
- Firehouse coordinator: Matt said the overhead door has been fixed, 5-0 bay is ok, be careful of the cables hooking as they go up (no repair, just check on it), the grease track in the kitchen was cleaned today—more than normal accumulation of grease was present and the track was not installed per instructions so it was disconnected but Matt will fix it.
- Golf tournament is Sept. 19th. The commercials came out really well done.
- Propane risers
- Proper installation of the kitchen grease trap
- Boat and water rescue package
- $450,000 for truck from Gowans and Knight
- Up to $475,000 for replacement of 5-0
- Possible technology upgrades
- Up to $450,000 for another truck (Adam Woodruff)
- Two utility trailers to make the generators portable
Matt S made a motion, seconded by Leila E, to adjourn @ 23:30
Vote on SOP 2-7: motion passed 15-7-4
Those voting for the motion: T. Amon, A. Bisenius, M. Cox, L. Erskine, G. Hock, S. Kabasakalian, C. Kinney, J. Kinney, T. Limbos, V. Limbos, A. Petrone, M. Petrone, T. Sneller, M. Starr, A. Woodruff. Those against: D. Ackerman, B. Blank, J. Cox, E. Epstein, B. Lamb, C. Rochovansky, L. Worthington. Those abstaining: E. Matson, G. Price, A. Romano, M. VanValkenburg.
Vote on Truck Committee to empower the EC to elicit bids passed 16-6-5.
Those voting for the motion: D. Ackerman, A. Bisenius, J. Bisenius, J. Cox, L. Dingee, L. Erskine, G. Hock, S. Kabasakalian, T. Limbos, V. Limbos, A. Petrone, M. Petrone, A. Romano, T. Sneller, M. Starr, A. Woodruff. Those against were: T. Amon, B. Blank, B. Lamb, E. Matson, C. Rochovansky, J. Worthington. Those abstaining were: M. Cox, E. Epstein, G.Price, M. VanValkenburg, L.Worthington.